Puducherry Unit of AIPWA held an agitation on 14 February demanding closure of liquor shops on National and state highways as per directives. A large number of women assembled in front of the State Excise department office. They raised slogans against Narayanasamy government’s inaction in implementing the Supreme Court Order. The agitators also demanded immediate permanent closure of all arrack shops in entire UT of Puducherry.
The other demands of the agitators were:
- Open the IMFL shops only five half days in a week.
- Compensation of Rs. 10 lakhs to the family members in which a member dies due to chronic alcoholism.
- Denial of bail to those who were involved in child rape and cancellation of all bail bonds granted.
- Protection of women from chain snatchers.
- Immediate arrest of all criminals involved in gang rape of minor Ariyalur Nandhini.
Balasubramanian, State Secretary CPI(ML), T. Gowri, State Secretary AIPWA, Motilal, Vice President AICCTU, P. Murugan, Construction workers’ leader, R. Jeyaraj, RYA, D. Govindaraj, AISA, A. Lourdmary, AIPWA addressed the demonstrators.